The Sisters of Mercy and Mercy Education
- St Teresa’s School was founded in 1930 by the Sisters of Mercy. Mercy Education has a long and rich history. One finds its roots in Ireland in the ministry of Catherine McAuley, the foundress of the Sisters of Mercy and her co-workers. These works of Mercy established by Catherine and her followers were marked by a special concern for the needs of the poor, especially women and children.
- Mercy education, faithful to this tradition, continues to this day. This ministry has continued for over 170 years. Schools are located in 20 states in the continental US, throughout South America, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland and Britain.
- Mercy schools, although geographically and culturally diverse, share a common heritage, legacy and mission. Committed to meeting the current needs of children, young women and men, Mercy education remains a vital component of the Sisters of Mercy and their co-ministers.
- To read more about Mercy Education Worldwide please visit www.netmercyed.org; www.sistersofmercy.ie and www.mercyworld.org.
- Click here for an in-depth account of Catherine McAuley’s life.